Skip to main content

#Tennis Kids of Instagram

There is only one way that a sport like tennis can grow.
We need young people to continue to watch, participate in and improve our sport: so it’s nice to see on Instagram that there are no shortage of kids and young adults who love our sport! For anyone who isn’t familiar with the ‘Rich kids of Instagram’ it is a verified Insta account that gives an insight into the world of 20 somethings with way too much money (which is often, but not always, from their parents) and their lavish lifestyles. If you want to check it out then please do but please,
READ THIS FIRST! 
Anyway, it got me thinking I should do some real journalism for once and that we need to celebrate the stories behind the hard working, enthusiastic, ambitious and inspiring ‘Tennis Kids of Instagram’. The future of our sport! Here are the stories of 4 very different but equally amazing 5-17 year olds who all share one thing: they love tennis. This article is written in order of age category so please read right to the end All Images courtesy of Instagram.

Novak Palombo


At just 5 years old and already a tennis ace with ability well above his years, it’s not hard to guess who little Novak is named after! I first read about Novak in January in an article for Caters News Agency (which I must credit for giving me my background information). Obviously having taken to the game so naturally and quickly, his tennis progress sounds striking! He could probably beat me already so I decided to check out his Instagram to discover more. Now, with young players the thought of the pushy parents behind them is never far away. That’s why I was so glad to see in all his pictures that he looks so genuinely happy all the time. Loving what you do is exactly what this article is about so I just had to get in touch to ask some questions, and I am assured that these answers are 100% his own.

Novak, you are still a very young player at 5 years old! When did you start playing?
“When I was 2 I started playing tennis, but soccer was earlier when I was 1.”
What’s your first tennis related memory?
“Playing with dad and doing smashes: one bounce and then point the finger at (the) ball and hit with my racket.”
How did you get into tennis? Did someone in particular inspire you to start playing?
“I started playing tennis with balloons, then joined a kids tennis class but became very good very quickly. Then I started playing with a coach!”
You share a name with Novak Djokovic but we at tennis now or never heard that your favourite player is Stan Wawrinka, what do you like about Stan? Do you try to play just like him?
“Stan is my favourite player because he does great backhands and because he plays soooo good and I have his signed tennis ball above my bed”
Do you think you’ll still be playing when you are older, maybe even as a professional?
“Yes, because I am really good at tennis and because I win against 11 year olds now! I play competition(s) and every Sunday and I win a lot of matches.”
What else do you like to do when you’re not playing tennis?
“I do swimming, soccer, I go to kindergarten, go to lots of birthday parties, I go on holidays with my mum and dad and I love reading books before going to sleep. I also sometimes watch tennis and animal programmes on TV but not a lot.”
What would you say is your best shot?
“My secret weapons are my serve and forehand and my favourite shot is my backhand.”
Finally, describe yourself in 3 words?
“I’ve been on TV, I always beat daddy, I do very good tennis.”

Okay, so he cheated on the last one but we’ll let him away with it! At such a young age it’s hard to tell if Novak has already found his true calling but for his age the signs are as promising as possible. He seems like a bundle of energy and enthusiasm which will surely carry him far in whatever he does. If you want to learn more about Novak check out his Instagram @Novak_Palombo .

Brooklyn Bindas and Anna Tang


Brooklyn
Anna
At 11 and 13 respectively, Brooklyn and Anna are the closest in age of the players we spoke to and so received almost identical questions. Hence, for ease of reading we have combined their answers. But be assured, both girls have very distinct individual personalities which we hope we captured here for you.

Don’t ask me why but before I contacted Brooklyn Bindas from the USA, I was expecting a 'girlie girl' - not that there would be anything wrong with that - however, there is definitely depth to Brooklyn. I’m sure she isn’t scared to break a nail when she is battling on court: channeling that inner Ostapenko! She realises the importance of her education and has a love of maths and slime-making. She is a great character and you can follow her Instagram @brooklyntennis .

Don’t be fooled by the sweet smile and angelic blonde hair of Denmark’s Anna Tang. She is a fiery character! Just take a look at her Instagram @annatang_tennis and you will see the theme. Anna admits to once being so frustrated after losing a 3 setter in the Tennis Europe semi-finals that she threw the trophy away: a true sign of drive and passion. But I must also stress what a polite girls she was to deal with and so eager to help answer my questions the best she could.

When did you start playing tennis and who/ what inspired you to take it to the next level by competing?
Brooklyn: “When I turned 8 in the spring of 2014, my mom enrolled me in a tennis clinic at a local club. That first summer I wanted to play tennis every day. I started to take private lessons and play in clinics at a local park near my house. I won my first 12 and Under Singles and Doubles tournament that summer also. I was hooked and I knew that I loved tennis. In the fall, I started taking private lessons and competing regularly in USTA tournaments.”
Anna: “I started tennis just before I turned 9. My dad took my brother and me to try it out, because he played a lot when he was a kid.
Since I was 5 I played soccer and did rope-skipping and liked that a lot, especially the soccer, but the tennis got under my skin in a different way. If find that tennis is difficult and demanding in a way that suits me, because you need to work both on technique and mental skills, there is always something that you can improve.
I began competing a few months after my first tennis lesson- no external motivation needed- I'm very competitive in everything I do (maybe too much!) and competing is a way to measure progress. I met the best girl (of my age group) in Denmark in one of my first matches and she crushed me with her hard hitting. Then I set a goal that I wanted to win against her. When that was achieved then being (staying) in top 5 in U14 and now I'm focusing on the senior rank.”
Do you have an idol? Any professional players that you aspire to be like?
What do you like about this person?
Brooklyn: “Oh course my idol is Serena Williams. I don’t know a single tennis player that doesn’t think she is the greatest of all time. But I would have to say I really love Jelena Ostapenko, she is only 20 years old. I love her backhand and the way she plays. I try to play a similar style of tennis. I even wear my hair like her. I try to bring out my ‘inner Jelena’. It’s my thing that helps me get pumped before I play.”
Anna: “I don't have an idol in particular. I like watching the different players and get inspired both by their technique, approach and the way they handle themselves on and off court (Nadal after losing in Wimbledon, waiting for Muller to receive applauses from audience and then walking out together instead of just leaving the court- that really inspires me and make me proud to play tennis). Right now I am inspired by Ostapenko, I love her aggressive play and she looks like she loves being on court. I play aggressive to so it is great to see that it is possible to make it all the way.”
You are still very young but we know you girls have got fire! Do you see yourselves still playing competitions when you’re older? Maybe even travelling the world on the pro tour?
Brooklyn: “I know I am young but my dream is to play professional singles or doubles when I am older and tour the world.”
Anna: “I hope that it is possible for me to keep playing all my life. Playing on the tour would be a dream coming true. I'm working hard to make it happen and even if it doesn’t happen, I have already got many amazing experiences and made friends for life, and love being on court both for training, match and coaching others.”
What is your ultimate goal as a tennis player?
Brooklyn: “My goals as a tennis player are to first play in college. My parents believe academics come first. I love to learn and love math and science. But of course the ultimate goal is to be a professional tennis player. Why train so hard.”
Anna: “Ultimate goal...that is tough. I want to be the best possible tennis player on and off court, I would love to inspire others, meet interesting people and winning grand slams....”
Do you ever find it hard to juggle training with your schoolwork or going out with friends?
Brooklyn: “I am home schooled, so juggling school, tennis and friends are never an issue. I always try to make time for sleepovers and hanging out with my friends. I think this is very important. My academic schedule is built around my tennis schedule and I also get to sleep in most mornings. This fall, I plan to step up my training to 15 hours a week (on and off court) so it may be a challenge to balance everything but we are going to make it work.”
Anna: “My old school was extremely supportive, and I am beginning a new school this august for kids doing their sports on elite level. I'm super excited about that. Friends... that is the tough part....I'm normally never able to go to birthday parties, hang out in the evenings or that sort of things. But I have close friends who understands and supports me, and we have insta, snap chat, FaceTime, messenger - and I have the best of friends who also play tennis. It can be difficult because we are friends and competitors at the same time. But we manage and they mean the world to me.”
What do you like to do best when you’re not playing tennis?
Brooklyn: “When I’m not playing tennis, I love just hanging out with my friends. I also have a slime obsession. I make slime almost every day and experiment with different recipes.”
Anna: “When not playing tennis I like to coach others, I'm together with my family and friends and I'm doing all sorts of DIY, love creating things, sharing ideas with my friends- you should see my room”
What shot is your secret weapon?
Brooklyn: “My secret weapon is my backhand. I get most of my winners off my backhand.”
Anna: “Secret weapon.... when it is working, then my forehand. Working hard on that serve, but that is definitely not a weapon yet 😂
Finally, could you describe yourself in 3 words?
Brooklyn: “Kind, smart and determined.
Kind, I’m always kind to my opponents and everyone I meet.
Smart, I am a math geek.
Determined, I am determined to be the best I can be.”
Anna: “Me in 3 words... perfectionist, curious, determined”

What is so clear is the drive and ambition these girls share and it’s hard not to see them succeeding in whatever life paths they choose. If all goes well, I wouldn’t be surprised if they become rivals on the senior tour some day!

Magdalena


17 year old young lady Magdalena from Austria found her passion for tennis later than most, but that doesn’t mean her story is any less worth telling. In fact, her message is as poignant as ever: Maggie just wants to express and share the enhancement that all sports can have on everyone’s lives – especially tennis. She comes across as a very down to earth girl. In a time where some professional players (like Kyrgios and Tomic) seem to have lost the true passion behind being on the court at a relatively young age, it is so refreshing to speak with a girl who so obviously loves tennis and what it has done for her.

I was going to ask you who inspires you but looking at your Instagram I can see that Victoria Azarenka is a big role model for you. What was it about Vika when you first saw her that got you interested in trying out tennis?
“Yes, Victoria Azarenka is a big inspiration for me. In fact, she was the indicator that I actually started to play tennis. The first thing I ever saw and heard of her was a video of her playing. I didn’t know anything about her ranking or the game. Here and there I had watched a bit of tennis before but there was something in her game and attitude which caught my attention and interest. I saw how much joy she has being on court and playing. I can’t even say exactly what it was but it fascinated me.”
Could you explain a little how tennis has helped you on a personal level?
“Even though I haven’t been playing for too long, tennis plays a key role in my life as well as my development as a person. I used to be a rather chubby child. I didn’t have a lot of self-confidence and there were times where school wasn’t a lot of fun due to some kids who didn’t know the border between fun and hurting. Tennis created this (let’s call it) ‘safe space’ for me: where I could just be myself. I found something I absolutely enjoy doing. Through the feeling on court and the development I did, the feeling of a team, my tennis page and the feedback I get for this, as well as mind set around tennis all helped me to be more happy with myself and also gain more self-confidence. ”
What is your ultimate goal as a player and as a person?
“My ultimate goal is actually a combination of my goals as a player and person. I would love to spread the joy and importance of sport. On one hand, continuing doing this through Instagram and, on the other, hopefully also some time interactive with other people/ players.
Besides that, I want to bring my game to the best possible level for me and see where that will be and take me to.”
You are 17, are you starting to think about playing as a senior? Do you see yourself in this sport when you’re in your 20’s in a competitive capacity?
“Here in Austria we sadly don’t have school teams for tennis, at least not at my school, and the system is also a bit different. I have thought about doing college tennis but, again it depends on how my game develops in the next year and what I want to study (which will decide over my location). I definitely see myself competing I my 20’s, I simply love the feeling of matches too much, but I will see if I’ll do that professionally, as a team sport combining study and sport or local hobby and club matches.”
As a teenager, has it been hard to juggle friendships and school work with your training and competitions?
“I must say it is not always easy. There are a lot of people and friends who try to understand and who are incredible respective regarding my tennis, but at the same time often people assume you can’t join anyway before they ask. But I must say I am very lucky to have a few friends who absolutely understand my situation and support me in any possible way.
Combining tennis and school is not always easy. Some days you are tired after a long day full of school and training but still got to finish school work. Sometimes I unfortunately have to put tennis behind school, which means in worst case scenario less or no training that week.”
What do you like to do best when you’re not playing tennis?
“I love taking pictures. From friends, nature or pretty much everything that comes in front of my lens.”
What would you say your best shot is? Would you say you play similar to Vika?
“My best shot, and at the same time favourite, is the approach shot before the volley. Second favourite is backhand down the line. I actually don’t think mine and Vika’s game is too similar but it’s hard to say since I’m still testing/developing and finding my game. Vika has a few more years of practice to know what suits her best.”
Finally, describe yourself in 3 words?
“Joyful, interested, thoughtful.”

I’m sure many of us can relate to the feeling of finally finding something that provides us with comfort when we really need it most – I know I can. I think you’ll agree that Maggie is quite inspiring and I hope that by sharing this everyone (particularly young girls) can see that the media doesn’t always have to share negative views and images. We all deserve to be happy with ourselves and to love what we do! Follow Magdalena on her journey on Instagram @maggie.tennis .

Hope you enjoyed reading this article - I definitely enjoyed making it perhaps more than any other!
I might do more like these in the future so if you know someone who you think should be featured get in touch through email: tennisnowornever@outlook.com ,Insta: @tennis_now_or_never or Twitter: @tennisnowornevr .
Only criteria:
1    Between ages of 4-18
        Loves everything about tennis!
Comment and share please!!!

Comments

  1. Great article Natasha! Thank you for exposing one side of Tennis that is overlooked and that is, how you get to the point where professional players are right now. These kids are going through the same training, that Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and so many other professionals went through. They should feel supported and encouraged to know that they can do great things.

    I would want to add, and we can discuss it more, that some kids are "forced" into Tennis and end up not really learning anything from it, or seeing the value of it. We encourage all players that have taken initiative to grow in Tennis, especially the younger generations, however it is very important to always make sure that the passion for them, is there.

    We'll be sharing your article on our Facebook page (http://facebook.com/ZaraTennis), feel free to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Zara!

      It is amazing to hear your thoughts and I'm so happy you liked it enough to share!

      It is a sad truth that some children are indeed forced into many sporting fields and of course there is never a point to this. Everyone deserves a right to a say in what they are doing regardless of age.
      I believe most children will only excel at something if they genuinely love it and I would hope and do believe this is the case with the kids featured here. I tried only to choose players who look enthusiastic about what they are doing on their Instagram pages.

      I hope you continue to enjoy my blogs in the future, Natasha

      Delete
  2. Amazing Post Natasha! This one is very informative for our kids. Keep Up Posting Great Article. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful article is that. appreciate this work I hope it will be great help for those who want to be a great player inn future

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your comments and use this page for tennis discussion (but keep it clean) and I might even blog about your topics!

Popular posts from this blog

5 things we learned from the French Open 2017: Lesson 5

Lesson #5 The game is in flux! Okay, so, a little contradictory? I know: I’m just after implying that the matches at this year’s French Open were more predictable than normal and I stand by it! In terms of outcome that is. As I said, it appeared that identifying which player was physically stronger often answered the question of who would win. So if we could guess the result then what do I mean by ‘the game is in flux’? Well firstly let us think back on some of the score lines from the tournament. While it is true that the winner was often predictable the manner in which they got there was so often not. The Halep vs Svitolina encounter was always going to be a tight one. Hence, the fact Svitolina stretched her to 3 sets was pretty regular. But if anyone foresaw the demolition that would follow in the decider then I would like to congratulate you and maybe even employ you to write these for me! The momentum was so obviously with Svitolina….so how come Halep took it 6-0?? She

Mid-Season Roundup: Injury Issues

There was a running theme throughout this year’s Wimbledon and unfortunately it was not a positive one. We have become accustomed to talking about the impact of the weather at Wimbledon over the years and the impact it can have as a third player, but this year the spotlight was on a different issue: injury! Indeed, it was the talk of the first round as the centre court crowd saw two consecutive mid-match retirements when both Klizan and Dolgopolov succumbed to injuries they had carried into the tournament. Under current rules a player may not take a medical time out in circumstances where the issue already existed before the match. Hence, they had no option but to concede defeat….. Or did they? I only ask because the decision sparked a lot of controversy! For those that didn’t hear the discussions, a first round Wimbledon loser gets around £30,000 (maybe as much as £35,000- I honestly don’t remember) for participating in the tournament: regardless of the score-line. This, o